New York Times: Turkish police break up protest with tear gas

ISTANBUL — Turkish police officers fired volleys of tear gas at protesters who tried to enter a cordoned-off park near Istanbul’s landmark Taksim Square on Saturday, hours after the city’s governor warned that the demonstration was illegal and that participants would be dispersed.

A few thousand people converged on the square, with the aim of entering Gezi Park, whose redevelopment plans prompted anger and morphed into nationwide antigovernment protests in June. Organizers had planned to serve notice to the authorities of a court decision that has annulled redevelopment plans for Taksim and break through police cordons.

The park has been sealed off since June 15, when the police routed environmentalists who occupied it during three weeks of widespread demonstrations against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government. Mr. Ergogan’s opponents say he has become increasingly authoritarian since coming to power a decade ago — charges the government rejects.

The nationwide protests have largely dwindled, although thousands of demonstrators have been gathering at Taksim every Saturday for the past three weeks — mostly demanding justice for a protester who was killed by the police — before officers intervened.

This time, some protesters argued with the police over their rights to enter Gezi Park before officers in riot gear pushed protesters away from the square with pressurized water and tear gas. They then chased protesters down two main streets off Taksim, again firing tear gas and water cannons. The police later barricaded an entrance to the square.

The Dogan news agency showed images of one man, with a bloodied face, being helped inside an ambulance. An Associated Press journalist saw a dozen protesters being detained.

The Dogan reports also showed two men — believed to be government supporters — threateningly wielding machetelike large blades at the protesters near Taksim. Gov. Huseyin Avni Mutlu of Istanbul later announced on his Twitter account that the men had been detained. One police officer was injured while trying to apprehend them, Mr. Mutlu also said.

In June, an Istanbul court ruled against the redevelopment plans that included building a replica Ottoman-era barracks at Gezi. The court’s decision, however, is not final and is expected to be appealed at a higher administrative court.

Mr. Mutlu had warned that the protest aimed at entering Gezi was unauthorized and said the police would intervene. He also said the authorities planned to reopen the park Sunday or Monday.

Earlier, the police also dispersed a small group of demonstrators who squirted water at one another at the square, in a passive form of protest to poke fun at the police’s abundant use of water cannons throughout the antigovernment protests. The police shoved the protesters off Taksim using their shields.

At least four people — three protesters and a police officer — were killed in the protests that swept Turkey in June. The use of force by the police against demonstrators, including the firing of tear gas directly on protesters and in closed spaces, drew criticism from human rights groups and some of Turkey’s allies.

6 July 2013
By the Associated Press